Friday, October 05, 2007

"The Essence of Christianity"


"He who looks to be perfected through his own assumption of what he calls a Christlike attitude towards what he calls a Christlike superhuman reality--though he considers that the term "Christlike" may without fatal loss be a merely conventional designation--is of a totally different religion from him who feels himself a sinner redeemed by the blood of a divine Saviour dying for him on the Cross. ... The redeemed in the blood of Christ, after all is said, are a people apart. Call them "Christians", or call them what you please, they are of a specifically different religion from those who know no such experience.
It may be within the rights of those who feel no need of such a redemption and have never experienced its transforming power to contend that their religion is a better religion than the Christianity of the Cross. It is distinctly not within their rights to maintain that it is the same religion as the Christianity of the Cross. On their own showing it is not that." -B.B. Warfield

Alas, and did my Savior bleed,
And did my Sov'reign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?

At the cross, at the cross
Where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!

*Actually, Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield's writings are extremely difficult for me to grasp. However, since my wife gave me 11 volumes of his studies last Christmas, I felt compelled, and even guilty, if I didn't share at least a little of this incredible servant of Lord's wisdom. Now I feel better, and I can tell Patricia I stayed up late and read Warfield, and even posted him on my blogg.

No comments: