Monday, October 01, 2007

Religious devotion, and zeal for the things of God, can be worldly, carnal, and even devilish.


" .. as concerning the righteousness of the law I was blameless." These words of Paul sound good, but they are not. In fact Paul says that he counts this as a waste. Those in the Church with a zeal for the things of the "Church", could be those who are the furthest from being partakers in Christ's Church.

"I crucified Christ daily in my monkish life, and blasphemed God through my false faith, wherein I then lived continually. Outwardly, I was not as other men, extortioners, unjust, whoremongers; but I kept chastity, poverty, and obedience.

Moreover, I was free from the cares of this present life. Notwithstanding, I fostered under this cloaked holiness, and trust in mine own righteousness, continual mistrust, doubtfulness, fear, hatred, and blasphemy against God. And this my righteousness was nothing but a filthy puddle, and the very kingdom of the devil. For Satan loves such saints, and accounts them for his dear darlings, who destroy their own bodies and souls, and deprive themselves of all the blessings of God's gifts.

Such saints are the bondslaves of Satan, and therefore are driven to speak, think, and do whatever he will, although outwardly they seem to excel all others in good works, in holiness and strictness of life.

.... But those things which were gain unto me, I now, with Paul, count to be but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Jesus Christ my Lord." -Martin Luther

3 comments:

donsands said...

Thanks Matthew for popping in.

Jim said...

How true that statement is. These are the hardest souls to realize their need of a Saviour!

donsands said...

No doubt Jim. Jesus' death by the hand of the religious elite testifies to this as well.
May the Lord keep our hearts tender, and yet firm in our faith.

Thanks for stoppin' by.