Saturday, December 08, 2007

" .. for we have seen His star.."


I read through Luke's Gospel account of Christ's birth, and now I'm reading through Matthew's Gospel.
These are wonderful and rich things to read, study, and ponder.

The thing which impressed upon me the most about the Magi, was they came to worship. They came and were unashamed to declare they came a long way to worship "The King of the Jews".
And though King Herod said that he too wanted to worship the King, he was saying this with his lips, and even his countenance, but his heart was full of envy, resentment, and fear.
And yet the Lord sovereignly used Herod to help the Magi find the King who had been born, perhaps as long as two years prior.
Herod told them where to look, and as they Magi set off, the Star went before them. I have no idea what this star was, or how it worked, but I love it.
And when they found the young Child, they fell down and worshipped Him! And also gave Him gifts.

It's the coming to worship a young Child that's the incredible truth here. And also that these Gentiles had been called in some way by God to understand and then have a desire to worship Jesus, who was born Christ the Lord, the Savior of the world.
And the Jews, those whom the Lord came to, and for, desired to kill Him. Amazing!

Am I more like the Magi, or Herod? Do I say let's worship, and in my heart I have all my own agendas. Am I fooling those around me? (But never the Lord of course). Or am I unashamed like the Magi, and simply long to worship the King of the universe? My inner man says loves to worship, but my "members" say no sometimes, I must admit. May the Lord continue to work on my heart, and pour out His grace in my life, so that I might grow more mature in my faith. For His glory. Amen.

No comments: