Monday, January 05, 2009

From, 'The Life and Diary of David Brainerd'



"Tuesday, April 6. I walked out this morning to the same place where I was last night, and felt as I did then; but was somewhat relieved by reading some passages in my diary, and seemed to feel as if I might pray to the great God again with freedom; but was suddenly struck with a damp [a sense of heaviness, making it hard to pray], from the sense I had of my own vileness. Then I cried to God to cleanse me from my exceeding filthiness, to give me repentance and pardon. I then began to find it sweet to pray; and could think of undergoing the greatest sufferings, in the cause of Christ, with pleasure. Found myself willing, if God so order it, to suffer banishment from my native land, among the heathen, that I might do something for their salvation, in distresses and deaths of any kind.

Then God gave me to wrestle earnestly for others, for the kingdom of Christ in the world, and for dear Christian friends. I felt weaned from the world and from my own reputation among men, willing to be despised and to be a gazing stock for the world to behold. It is impossible for me to express how I then felt. I had not much joy, but some sense of the majesty of God, which made me as it were tremble. I saw myself mean and vile, which made me more willing that God should do what He would with me; it was all infinitely reasonable.

...Oh, that all my late distresses and awful apprehensions might prove but Christ's school to make me fit for greater service, by teaching me the great lesson of humility!" -David Brainerd

This is a good book to read, and an exceptional servant of the Lord to listen to. He understood how vile he was, though his vileness is no where near the genuine vileness so many display boldly in the Church today. His sin was detested by his own heart, because he saw how holy God was, and how great Christ's love was toward him.
May I glean a little of this same closeness to the presence of Christ that David Brainerd experienced, even though at times it made him fall on his face for his sinfulness. Yet, for the greater part, he was allowed to taste the sweetness of Christ's love, peace, and joy.

No comments: