Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Rock of Ages" -Augustus Montague Toplady (1740–1778),


We studied this hymn last night at our Bible study and fellowship group. We have been sharing our favorite hymns each week, and we then look into the history of the hymn, and hymn writer a bit. We then sing the hymn, and use it as a tool for our prayer time. We also have been studying the minor Prophets. I thank the Lord for weekly meetings like this. Christ is honored, and He blesses us, and we are edified in His grace and truth.

This particular hymn, with such well put words is really full of doctrine and truth, isn't it. The hymns are incredibly beneficial for the Body of Christ, and i'd encourage us all to be aquainted with them, and even emmersed in them. There's great joy, peace, and growth in doing so.

"Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
[originally When my eye-strings break in death]
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee."

No comments: