Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"A Christian Manifesto"

I read through this today, and here's an excerpt, that really shows that what Francis Schaeffer feared has come to pass. May the Lord grant us repentance, and for our children's sake, and our children's children's sake, turn this nation around. Amen.



"We need another revival in our hearts. But they have forgotten something. Most of the Christians have forgotten and most of the pastors have forgotten something. That is the factor that every single revival that has ever been a real revival, whether it was the great awakening before the American Revolution; whether it was the great revivals of Scandinavia; whether it was Wesley and Whitefield; wherever you have found a great revival, it's always had three parts. First, it has called for the individual to accept Christ as Savior, and thankfully, in all of these that I have named, thousands have been saved. Then, it has called upon the Christians to bow their hearts to God and really let the Holy Spirit have His place in fullness in their life. But there has always been, in every revival, a third element. It has always brought SOCIAL CHANGE!

Cambridge historians who aren't Christians would tell you that if it wasn't for the Wesley revival and the social change that Wesley's revival had brought, England would have had its own form of the French Revolution. It was Wesley saying people must be treated correctly and dealing down into the social needs of the day that made it possible for England to have its bloodless revolution in contrast to France's bloody revolution.

The Wall Street Journal, not too long ago, and I quote it again in A Christian Manifesto, pointed out that it was the Great Awakening, that great revival prior to the founding of the United States, that opened the way and prepared for the founding of the United States. Every one of the great revivals had tremendous social implications. What I am saying is, that I am afraid that we have forgotten our heritage, and we must go on even when the cost is high.

I think the Church has failed to meet its obligation in these last 40 years for two specific reasons. The first is this false, truncated view of spirituality that doesn't see true spirituality touching all of life. The other thing is that too many Christians, whether they are doctors, lawyers, pastors, evangelists -- whatever they are -- too many of them are afraid to really speak out because they did not want to rock the boat for their own project. I am convinced that these two reasons, both of which are a tragedy and really horrible for the Christian, are an explanation of why we have walked the road we have walked in the last 40 years.

We must understand, it's going to cost you to take a stand on these things. There are doctors who are going to get kicked out of hospitals because they refuse to perform abortions; there are nurses that see a little sign on a crib that says, "Do not feed," and they feed and they are fired. There's a cost, but I'd ask you, what is loyalty to Christ worth to you? How much do you believe this is true? Why are you a Christian? Are you a Christian for some lesser reason, or are you a Christian because you know that this is the truth of reality? And then, how much do you love the Lord Jesus Christ? How much are you willing to pay the price for loyalty to the Lord Jesus?" -Francis Schaeffer

9 comments:

Ron said...

Difficult as they may be, never truer words spoken that reveal the weakness of our time.

donsands said...

Nice to have you drop by Ron.
Lord bless.

Craver Vii said...

Since yesterday, I've been thinking on this, and I honestly don't know how it would be a real sacrifice to me. It's not like I'm a doctor who can lose his job, and be stuck with a bazillion dollars of med school tuition to pay back. I'm not complaining, mind you! I just can't easily see how this would be a big sacrifice for many of us.

But if the day comes when I find the opportunity, I pray that I might be ready to put God first with all my heart!

donsands said...

"I just can't easily see how this would be a big sacrifice for many of us."

Mainly for me it's for my daughter, and my three grandsons. I want to see them have the liberty that I have enjoyed from the Lord.
It's little by little being taken away.
To live in a Statism nation will be difficult.

BUT, God is sovereign! He will do great things for His Church, and it will prevail, and it shall grow and grow, maybe not here in the USA, but the Church is growing, and the Word of the Lord is spreading big time in Iran, Africa, and India.

Jesus said, "Build your treasures in heaven."
We don't need to hold on tightly to things down here. We may need to hold our coffe mug, so that we can take a sip of that blessing in the morning, but we don't need to grip it with white-knuckles.

I'm rambling again. But, hey, it's my blog.

mommanator said...

Another great post.
I hate to say it, but... I don't know if I could be an Abraham!
but just about anything is game-things are things to me!

donsands said...

Nice to hear from you mommanator.

mommanator said...

I'm back-been thinking on this bit of scripture I John3:16-17

donsands said...

"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. 17 But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?"

Lay down our lives. How that would glorify our Father, and the Lord Jesus!

Thanks for coming back.

Unknown said...

The Christian Manifesto is bullshit... as is all religious doctrine, this nation was founded by our secular forefathers to be free of religious influence. Mankind IS evolving beyond the need of religion, if there is to be a revolution... may it be a evolution revolution to be finally rid of religious tyranny that has enslaved the souls of free people, thus recapturing the spirit of our secular forefather's intentions.