Friday, October 16, 2009

"The Who" was one of my favorite bands in my earlier days. I had all their LP's. Quadrophenia was one of Towsends best acheivements I think.

I thought I'd put a post up on one more secular band, as i finish up my posts on music. I do have one more Christian band to post on as well.

Here's the theme song for this particular album, which Pete Townsend put together:



"I went back to the doctor
To get another shrink.
I sit and tell him about my weekend,
But he never betrays what he thinks.

Can you see the real me, doctor?

I went back to my mother
I said, "I'm crazy ma, help me."
She said, "I know how it feels son,
'Cause it runs in the family."

Can you see the real me, mother?

The cracks between the paving stones
Look like rivers of flowing veins.
Strange people who know me
Peeping from behind every window pane.
The girl I used to love
Lives in this yellow house.
Yesterday she passed me by,
She doesn't want to know me now.

Can you see the real me, can you?

I ended up with the preacher,
Full of lies and hate,
I seemed to scare him a little
So he showed me to the golden gate.

Can you see the real me preacher?
Can you see the real me doctor?
Can you see the real me"

Here's a short review of the LP: "Quadrophenia's central character, Jimmy, is a Mod whose life has crumbled around him. He returns to Brighton, scene of one of the great Mod/Rocker riots, only to find that the "ace face" who led the charge is a lowly bellboy at a local hotel. The plot line is even more fragmented than Tommy's and the notion that Jimmy is "quadrophenic," split into four different selves, is poorly developed. But Townshend's gut-wrenching songs -- "The Real Me," "Cut My Hair," "Sea and Sand," "Love, Reign O'er Me" -- make up for these deficiencies. Anyone who's longed to be part of a group, anyone, in short, who's ever been a teenager -- can identify with Quadrophenia's sentiments." -Mac Randal

Pete Townsend was always looking for the spiritual side of this world. A lot of his songs ask questions, and probe into the heart and mind. (Though he surely made a lot of bold statements as well). He's a incredibly interesting, and talented, artist. At the same time, he's a sinner who needs the Lord's grace and mercy as well.
He never embraced the good news of Jesus Christ as far as I know. Perhaps one day he shall. I shall pray for him.
Nevertheless, his talent is truly amazing to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be willing to bet that even the preacher couldn't see the "real me"...

in John 13:10-11 Jesus reminds us that we don't need to be right before we come to Him....

But, by being with Him - we are made right. :)

donsands said...

Pete is trying to answer life's questions without the Scripture. His talented guitar playing, and writing melodies, and putting the music to real world issues, in the end is vain really.
Though at the same time I enjoy his style of music.

Thanks for the link to your post. Very nice.
We need to wash one anther's feet, don't we? I'd love to wash Jesus feet, but He has no need of that. I can sit at His feet, as Mary did, and worship at His feet, as Peter did, and confess my sins at His feet for sure, as the woman in the Pharisee's home did.
Jesus said to sit at His feet is a good thing indeed.

Have a blessed Lord's day Chris.