Monday, March 01, 2010

"For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother.” -Jesus

I read this passage the other day to my Mom, and thought, "mother?"

I can understand Jesus saying those who do the will of His Father in heaven are His sisters and brothers, but mother didn't seem fit.
Was our Lord, who was 30 years old at the time, referring to the older women? Or was He simply saying all who do the will of God are my family. He does leave father out though. Jesus doesn't include other men as His father. I would say Jesus point is just that. We are His family if we do God's will. We need to be born again, and so born into the kingdom and family of the Lord. All women and men, once they are regenerated, will have new hearts that desire to do God's will; to love Christ and love their neighbor. This is God's will.

There's another teaching here from our Lord I think.

Mary, whom the Roman Catholic Church has taught is a co-redemptrix of sinners, is certainly shown here that she is not as special as the RC Church would have us think.

Velázquez's Coronation of the Virgin, 1645

She was a wonderful and godly believer, and daughter of the Lord, but she is only that. She was also a mother of other children, as shown in this passage of Scripture, and so she wasn't a Virgin her whole life.

There's my short thoughts for today. A little crude and confusing I feel, but it's because I'm a little overwhelmed here at work. Nevertheless, I felt a need for a break, and a little sharing of my heart. It will help me get my work done now, with a bit less stress and my heart will have a bit more joy as well.

No comments: