Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!


A couple quotes from Saint Patrick, in honor of a day we named after him:

"Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me."

"If I be worthy, I live for my God to teach the heathen, even though they may despise me."

Patrick was an evangelist. He preached Christ to those who knew not the salvation of the Lord. And he reached many in Ireland for the glory of the Lord.

The way we celebrate this day has nothing to do with him really, don't you think. And there's nothing wrong with having celebrations, don't get me wrong. But it would be nice if we would make mention of the person, the man, we are commemorating, don't you think. At least a little.


Here's a picture of a portion of Ireland, where a fellow, and artist, I was blessed to see perform, and to meet and chat with a bit lives. His name is Tommy Sands, and I believe he lives in County Down, where the Mourn Mountains are located as well. Tommy Sands is a song writer and a peace activist for Ireland. Here's one of his more famous songs:



The peace that Tommy Sands fights for is a worthy cause, and yet it's not the peace that passes all understanding that only Christ can give. Knowing Jesus, and trusting in Him for forgiveness of sin is the only way to have peace with God. There's simply no other way. This is the Gospel of grace, and it's the same Gospel St. Patrick preached to the unbelievers in Ireland.

So there's my hodgepodge post on St. Paddy's Day, for what it's worth.

One more entry:

"When Irish eyes are smiling,
Tis like a morn in spring.
With a lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing
When Irish hearts are happy
All the world is bright and gay
When Irish eyes are smiling
Sure, they steal your heart away."

No comments: