Thursday, April 08, 2010

"Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him. " John 13:5

There are local congregations that have what they call "foot washings". And that can be a good thing to do. Depends on the person, I think. I did it once, and that was something to ponder for sure. However, the heart of the Lord's teaching here is not calling us have "foot washings". He is teaching us that we need to care for each other, so much so, that we would gladly wash one another's dirty feet, if the situation called for it. It's an incredible example, when we recognize it was God who washed the feet of such men; of such sinners. Even Judas who would betray Him. And those whom would forsake Him, and even deny Him.


[Duccio di Buoninsegna (c. 1255-1260 – c. 1318-1319)]

"When he [Jesus] had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them." John 13:12-17

Here's a song by Michael Card that reflects our Lord's teaching in the washing of His disciples feet.



"And the call is to community,
The impoverished power that sets the soul free.
In humility, to take the vow,
that day after day we must take up the basin and the towel.

In any ordinary place,
on any ordinary day,
the parable can live again
when one will kneel and one will yield" -Michael Card

And only by faith, and through the grace of Christ can we "kneel and yield". And even though the grace is with us, it may still cause us great awkwardness and even pain; perhaps some blood, sweat, and tears as well.

4 comments:

Craver Vii said...

That makes me wonder what it would mean for me, practically speaking, to take up the basin and the towel. I'll have to mull that one over for a while.

mommanator said...

quite awhile ago, in the littlem country church I attened we decided to have a "foot washing"
when it was first discuued the was much laughter and Yucks, but as some us board members discussed it doesnt hav eto be that! folk can participate if they want. Well it turned out to be one of the most memorable services I ever attended. The church was dimly lit with candles all about. cerain folk were the washers tostart off with. we read scriptue, discribed it as Jesus did it and hte reasons. There was no laughter that eve, but many tears of joy of the blessings that were recieved. Afterward folks were asked to go to the santuary and be with HIM. thansk for reminding me of this, such wonderful memories!

Craver Vii said...

Maybe a practical application for me would be when I see my children doing their chores, I could assist them. No words of correction, just being a helper. (heavy sigh) Let's see how that goes...

donsands said...

That's a nice blessing for you sister.

My son-in-law was in Boston a couple years ago, and went to a church on Sunday, where they had a foot washing.
He said it was a blessed memory for him.

Craver, I think that's excellent bro.

To show others we care about them, and doing it because our Lord desires it can come in many ways.

Be blessed in His joy you two! Thanks for the encouragement.