Monday, May 03, 2010

From John 15:25 "But the word that is written in their Law must be fulfilled: ‘They hated me without a cause.’" -Jesus


"Be on guard against men". Matt. 10:17

"I believe if we were more like Christ, we should be much more loved by His friends and much more hated by His enemies. I do not believe the world would be half so lenient to the Church nowadays if it were not that the Church has grown complacent to the world.
When any of us speak up boldly, mercenary motives are imputed to us, our language is turned upside down, and we are abhorred of men. We get smooth things, brethren, because I am afraid we are too much like the prophets who prophesied peace, peace, where there was no peace.
Let us be true to our Master, stand out and come out and be like Him, and we must expect the same treatment that He had." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon 1834-1892

I must say that, --because I am timid,-- I can be very discouraged when the world mocks me, and/or becomes angry toward me, when I share the truth of Christ. Am there's always a mixture in my witness, that of the truth, and of my understanding that I don't deserve God's grace, and even less than most people, and the fact that I have the taintedness of my own self-righteousness.

The worse thing about this is when I shy away from sharing the truth in love for others to come to the truth, and I even deny the Lord, or at least make the Gospel less offensive so I'm not thought bad of.

The Gospel is the greatest offense in this world. There really is no greater offense than the Cross of Jesus, and His empty tomb.

The non-religious world hate it, and mock it, and say, "How foolish to think a man dying on a Cross means anything at all. And then being raised back to life is quite absurd indeed."
And the religious world says, "Right! I simply believe in Christ's death and repent of my sins, and trust that God has raised Jesus from the dead, and I will be forgiven, and rescued from myself and sin, and have my name written in heaven. Well, sure, the cross and resurrection are good, but we have to do our part as well. We have to do all we can to be good people as well. And we are basically good people, after-all, and we only need to add Jesus into our good works."

No.

The Gospel stands alone, and shines a bright light which speaks like this:

"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name."-Ed­ward Mote, 1834

And:

"Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone."-Au­gus­tus M. Top­la­dy, 1776.

No comments: