Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray Him [Jesus]" John 13:2



"On all the coasts of England there is not such a beacon to warn sailors of danger as Judas Iscariot is to warn Christians. He shows us what length a man may go in religious profession, and yet turn out a rotten hypocrite at last, and prove never to have been converted. He shows us the uselessness of the highest privileges, unless we have a heart to value them and turn them to good account. Privileges alone without grace save nobody, and will only make hell deeper. He shows us the uselessness of mere head-knowledge. To know things with our brains, and be able to talk and preach and speak to others, is no proof that our own feet are in the way of peace. These are terrible lessons: but they are true.

Let us never be surprised if we see hypocrisy and false profession among Christians in modern days. There is nothing new in it, nothing peculiar, nothing that did not happen even among Christ's own immediate followers, and under Christ's own eyes. Bad money is a strong proof that there is good coin somewhere. Hypocrisy is a strong indirect evidence that there is such a thing as true religion."
-JC Ryle

Some words for me to take to heart, and let them sit there for a season.
For I can surely play the hypocrite at times. Yet, (and I thank the Lord for this), God's grace has overwhelmed me, and He has time and again helped me face my sin, and loath it, and repent of it. I may have to repent 7 times 70, but as long as I know I love my Savior with genuine affection, and hate my sin, I know I am in His favor and truth.


"Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;
this is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long." -Fanny Crosby 1820-1915

No comments: