Wednesday, August 18, 2010

".. let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. ...Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath. " -Jesus, from Matt. 24:16,20


"...flight from danger may sometimes be the positive duty of a Christian. Our Lord Himself commanded his people under certain circumstances "to flee."

The servant of Christ undoubtedly is not to be a coward. He is to confess his Master before men. He is to be willing to die, if needful, for the truth. But the servant of Christ is not required to run into danger, unless it comes in the line of duty. He is not to be ashamed to use reasonable means to provide for his personal safety, when no good is to be done by dying at his post. There is deep wisdom in this lesson. The true martyrs are not always those who court death, and are in a hurry to be beheaded or burned. There are times when it shows more grace to be quiet, and wait, and pray, and watch for opportunities, than to defy our adversaries, and rush into battle. May we have wisdom to know how to act in time of persecution! It is possible to be rash, as well as to be a coward--and to stop our own usefulness by being over hot, as well as by being over cold." John Charles Ryle, 1816-1900

I have been hot at times. I have also been cold at times. Sometimes silence can be golden. But other times it can be yellow. And seeming to be bold at times, we are simply self-righteous and proud.

I am still learning to understand these important ways we are to live and be as Christians. JC Ryle is one of the Church's great teachers, and I have learned much from his wisdom and pen.

I thank Jesus for men like Ryle. Amen.

2 comments:

Craver Vii said...

That is something I'll have to seriously consider, especially because I frequently find myself confronting people. I believe it is mainly because other people are not aware of problems or maybe they don't care. But I still need to be careful that I am not reckless. Good words here, Don.

donsands said...

Thanks Craver.