Saturday, September 04, 2010

I heard this song on the radio today. I really never knew much about the Kent State shootings. So I read up on them a little. Sad and inexcusable.


I remember vaguely hearing about this incident back in May 1970, but to be honest, I didn't really care too much about it. I should have, but I was too into myself. I was living for me, my, and mine. What a turbulent time for the United States of America. As I checked the history of what happened, it's basically still a mystery. Although four students were shot and killed, and 9 others wounded, we still are not sure why the National Guard began shooting.
You think they would have taking the soldiers who fired their guns and brought them for questioning, and maybe they did, but I didn't see where they did.

I didn't read a whole lot about it to be honest, but I'm glad I understand it better than I did.
Every one of those bullets was under God's sovereign sight and mercy. Why did He allow 4 to die, when He could have saved their lives? I don't know.


Here are some words from Christ that are deep and hard to comprehend really, yet may be good words to ponder when we are trying to understand tragic things like "4 Dead in Ohio":

"There were some present at that very time who told him [Jesus] about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And he answered them, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” Luke 13:1-5


Here are the students that were killed:
* Jeffrey Glenn Miller; age 20; 265 ft (81 m) shot through the mouth - killed instantly
* Allison B. Krause; age 19; 343 ft (105 m) fatal left chest wound - died later that day
* William Knox Schroeder; age 19; 382 ft (116 m) fatal chest wound - died almost an hour later in hospital while waiting for surgery
* Sandra Lee Scheuer; age 20; 390 ft (120 m) fatal neck wound - died a few minutes later from loss of blood

No comments: