Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"What more do you want!"- Rocky, (James Cagney)........"What I've always wanted Rocky, straighten yourself out with God." Fr. Connelly, (Pat O'Brien)

The final scene of 'Angels With Dirty Faces': A terrific flick!



I don't know how many times I have watched this film, but it's quite a lot. I really like, and love, this flick. Cagney was such a great, and unique actor.

This is one of those films where they throw in God, and it seemed to be common place that God is the God of Catholicism. The Gospel of grace alone, through faith alone, isn't in this movie, really.
Rocky makes up for all his sins by "turning yellow". It's good what he did for sure, but it leaves out the Cross. Jesus paid for all sin: Forgiveness is in Him. We need to simply receive His incredible free gift of forgiveness for all our sins. And then surely we will then love God, and care about how we live for Him, but this film doesn't portray that even a little.
It's a shame, really.


I still love the movie, and actually get choked-up at the end. It's a terrific movie. A great piece of art in my humble taste.

No comments: