Sunday, July 31, 2011

"What saith the Scripture?...'Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.'...to be without the Spirit is to be without Christ."

[Here's an excerpt from this incredible book: 'Holiness', from the pen of JC Ryle]

"How painfully self-righteous are many! They can talk complacently about having 'done their duty', and being 'kind to everybody', and having always 'kept to their church', and having 'never been so very bad' as some, and therefore they seem to think they must go to heaven! And as to a deep sense of sin and simple faith in Christ's blood and sacrifice, it seems to have no place in their religion. Their talk is all doing and never of believing. And will such self-righteousness as this land anyone in heaven? Never! Without faith, without Christ!
How painfully ungodly are many! They live in the habitual neglect of God's sabbath, God's Bible, God's ordinances and God's sacraments. They think nothing of doing things which God has flatly forbidden. They are constantly living in ways which are directly contrary to God's commandments. And can such ungodliness end in salvation? Impossible! Without the Holy Ghost, without Christ!
I know well that at first sight these statements seem hard and sharp and rough and severe. But after all, are they not God's truth as revealed to us in Scripture? If truth, ought they not be made known? If necessary to be known, ought they not be plainly laid down? If I know anything of my own heart, I desire above all things to magnify the riches of God's love to sinners. I long to tell all mankind what a wealth of mercy and loving-kindness there is laid up in God's heart for all who will seek it.

But I can not find anywhere that ignorant and unbelieving and unconverted people have any part in Christ! If I am wrong, I shall be thankful to anyone who will show me a more excellent way. But till I am shown it, I must stand fast on the positions I have already laid down. I dare not forsake them, lest I be found guilty of handling God's Word deceitfully. I dare not be silent about them, less the blood of souls be required at my hands. The man without knowledge, without faith, and without the Holy Ghost, is a man without Christ!"
-John Charles Ryle, Bishop.

2 comments:

Craver Vii said...

As it relates to the question, "What about those who have never heard," I respect Bishop Ryle for not having caved in under pressure to compromise and make the gospel softer, more palatable.

"...are they not God's truth as revealed to us in Scripture? If truth, ought they not be made known? If necessary to be known, ought they not be plainly laid down?" Preach it, Brother!

donsands said...

Amen brother.