Monday, August 08, 2011

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever" (Ps. 73:26).



"The Word of God appears to me to teach distinctly that a believer may arrive at an assured confidence with regard to his own salvation. .....Assurance will enable a man to sleep with full prospect of death on the morrow, like Peter in Herod's dungeon. It will teach him to say, 'I will both lay me down in peace and sleep, for Thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety' (Ps. 4:8). ....The river of death is a cold stream, and we have to cross it alone. No earthly friend can help us. The last enemy, the king of terrors, is a strong foe. When our souls are departing, there is no cordial like the strong wine of assurance."
-John Charles Ryle, from his classic book: Holiness.

No comments: