Saturday, February 02, 2008

"But He Was Pierced for our Transgressions, .."



"This is your comfort: that you cannot die. How can you perish if Jesus was put into your place? If your debt was paid of old by Christ, can it ever be demanded of you again? Once paid, it is fully discharged; the receipt we have gladly accepted; and now we can cry with the Apostle, "Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God who justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us" (Rom. 8:33-34). See here the mainstay of every believer's confidence. He knows that Christ died for him because he has put his trust in this blessed mediation. If Jesus died for me, then I cannot be condemned for the sins that He expiated. God cannot punish twice for the one offense. He cannot demand two payments for one debt." -CH Spurgeon

What a filthy sinner I am. Even now, though I'm alive unto the things of God, and have His Spirit, I am a wretch. And yet these transgressions I commit are already paid for by the pierced hands, feet, forehead, and side of my Lord and Savior. And because of such a Savior, I hate my sin that much more.
I am forgiven, and that brings great comfort, and with the comfort great conviction, which leads the heart to repentance. How I hate living in this world at times, and yet life is precious, because Jesus Christ died for me.
All glory, thanks and praise to Him, forever and ever. Amen.

4 comments:

jazzycat said...

Don,
Good thoughts. Jesus paid it all. Also, a really great photo.

donsands said...

Thanks Wayne.

All to Him we owe.

Beal said...

I love that CHS quote. Good blog man, I found you from J. Taylor's BLOG...

donsands said...

Thanks for stopping by. st. brian.