Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"Be angry and sin not"

Anger can be a blessing. That just doesn't sound right, but it's the truth. As long as the angry person has an anger that is righteous.

Our Lord's anger was perfect. When He rebuked the Jews; when He threw over the money changer's tables; and whenever He revealed His anger, His was a "holy anger", and it was a blessing, because it always brought glory to God the Father. I would think the Father was blessed to see His Son manifest this righteous wrath.

Can we, as born again children of God have this same anger? Yes and no. We can, by His grace, manifest this type of anger in the same manner, but never to the same perfect degree.
Our anger will be tainted. Though the major portion of our anger which we display may be righteous, there shall be a portion that we need to acknowledge as sin. And so as we confront with anger, and God uses this anger for a blessing, and also for His glory, we still need to be ready to apologize, and to acknowledge, that though this situation called for confrontation, we are sinners saved by grace, and we need a tender heart, a humble heart, that simply knows where it came from, and that Christ is the only person who never, ever, needed to ask for forgiveness.

I was very angry the other day when I was driving home from church, and it was due to someone tailgating me. I had my two grandsons with me at the time, and this guy was incredibly indignant and stupid, and I came very close to showing my indignation. But for the grace of God, and my wife sitting next to me, I would have gone across that line of righteous indigantion, to sinful wrathful behavior.

It took several minutes until my anger subsided, but it did, and it's gone. Did I learn and grow from this? I think so. And I think my wife did as well. God being so faithful is always a lesson that never gets old. And I hope He shaped my heart just a little more, so that I can continue to let these types of situations, well, let them go. Just let them go.

And the grandsons? They were completely undisturbed in the back seat having a good time reading their books.

No comments: