Sunday, June 14, 2009

"I wandered so aimless, life filled with sin/I wouldn't let my dear Savior in,"-Hank Williams, Sr.




Here's a little about this very talented man [Hank Williams, Sr.], who died at the age of 29:

""I Saw the Light" is a 1948 Gospel song written and first performed by Hank Williams,
The Hank Williams version of the song reached #1 on CMT's 20 Greatest Songs of Faith in 2005."

"Williams had 11 number one hits in his career—"Lovesick Blues", "Long Gone Lonesome Blues", "Why Don't You Love Me?", "Moanin' the Blues", "Cold, Cold Heart", "Hey Good Lookin'", "Jambalaya (On the Bayou)", "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive", "Kaw-Liga", "Your Cheatin' Heart", "Take These Chains From My Heart"—as well as many other top-ten hits.

The American entrance into World War II in 1941 marked the beginning of hard times for Hank Williams. All his band members were drafted to serve in the military, and many of their replacements refused to continue playing in the band because of Hank's worsening alcoholism. His idol, Grand Ole Opry star Roy Acuff, warned him of the dangers of alcohol, saying "You've got a million-dollar voice, son, but a ten-cent brain." Despite Acuff's advice, Williams continued to show up for his radio show intoxicated, so in August 1942, WSFA fired him due to "habitual drunkenness.

Hank Williams' marriage, always turbulent, was rapidly disintegrating, and he developed a serious problem with alcohol, morphine and other painkillers prescribed for him in an effort to ease his severe back pain caused by his spina bifida. Williams and his wife were divorced on May 29, 1952.

On January 1, 1953, Williams was due to play in Canton, Ohio, but he was unable to fly due to weather problems. He hired a chauffeur and, before leaving the old Andrew Johnson Hotel in Knoxville, Tennessee, injected himself with vitamin B12 and morphine. He then left in a Cadillac, though contrary to popular belief, he did not have a bottle of whiskey with him. The only items found in the backseat of his car were a few cans of beer and the hand-written lyrics to an unrecorded song.

When the 17-year-old chauffeur, Charles Carr pulled over at an all-night service station in Oak Hill, West Virginia, he discovered that Williams was unresponsive and becoming rigid. Upon closer examination, it was discovered that Hank Williams was dead. He was 29."

I wonder did Hank ever really see the Light. His life doesn't seem to fit his lyrics. I hope he did.

6 comments:

Craver Vii said...

As I played that video, I kept thinking how clean and controlled the sound was. I did not recognize the name "Bart Millard," but I know who "Mercy Me" is.

Yeah, I wonder too. As part of my gospel presentation, I refrain from giving answers until I hear where somebody is coming from. I do that in order that the listener might not parrot back what he thinks to be the answer I want to hear. Sometimes I think that's part of the Bible Belt dynamic... lots of people are echoing back the words that resound in their ears but not their heart.

That is not a judgment of Hank, just a general concern & speculation about how people might say one thing, but live another.

So is Hank saved? I can only imagine.

donsands said...

"...lots of people are echoing back the words that resound in their ears but not their heart."

That's such a true and sad truth isn't it Craver. Hey thanks for coming over.

I'm not that familiar with Mercy Me, but I was watching some of their videos, and came upon this one of their lead singer. This one got me to thinking, and so I posted what you see.
It just sort of happened.

Litl-Luther said...

Maybe his son, Hank William's Jr. has the answer (from lyrics to one of his songs, which is one of my family's favorites since I was little):

"They get on me wanna know Hank
why do you drink?
(Hank) why do you roll smoke?
Why must you live out the songs that you wrote?
over and over
everybody made my prediction
so if i get stoned
I'm just carryin'
on an old family tradition

I am very proud
of my daddys name
although his kinda music
and mine ain't exactly the same
stop and think it over
put yourself in my position
if i get stoned and sing all night long
it's a family tradition"

Craver Vii said...

If you're not familiar with Mercy Me, maybe you didn't get my little joke. "I can only imagine" is probably their most famous song. :-)

mommanator said...

I gues I am having senior moments AGAIN! I didnt remember Hank being so young when he died. My folks loved his music.
Mercy me-love their sound,

donsands said...

Yeah I got that Craver. And you made me laugh as usual.

I'm a little familiar with Mercy Me. I Actually bought to of their CD's, but I never got into listening to them.

They are definitely one of the better CCM bands out there.

My old church's worship band used to play "I Can Only Imagine". It's a teriffic song.

Thanks for stopping by Triston, and sharing Hank Jr's song. I hope he gets on the straight and narrow.

Always nice to have you stop by mommanator. God bless.