Monday, March 29, 2010

The Monday, the Tuesday, and the Wednesday before the Thursday: The Passover.

[Jacob Jordaens 1650]

I was reading through the Scriptures, Matthew and Luke that is, and I noticed there was a ton of teachings that Jesus gave the people during this particular period after His entering Jerusalem on a donkey, -whipping the phony religious people out,- and the Passover He was to keep with His disciples.

In Luke 19:47, (just after He rebuked the people selling in the Temple), it says:

"And he [Jesus] was teaching daily in the temple."

And in Luke 21:37-38 it says:

" And every day he was teaching in the temple, but at night he went out and lodged on the mount called Olivet. And early in the morning all the people came to him in the temple to hear him."

And so between 19:37 and 21:38 there is such a tremendous amount of spiritual food the Lord has given us. I was thinking how Jesus was in Jerusalem where the religious priests and so-called shepherds of the people hated Him, and he was about to be tortured and killed by the people who were supposedly looking for God's Messiah, and yet He was there loving the people, and teaching them His Word.
What an amazing Savior we have!

There a lot of truth for us Christians to enjoy. I hope we can all have a good local church with good pastors who will feed us, and encourage us to feed ourselves with this most blessed of all foods. The Word is true food indeed, and Jesus is this Word.

Jesus says in John 6:35;48-51:

"“I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. .....I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

So we need to be spiritually feeding on the Word, who is our Lord, and the Truth, who is our Lord as well (John 14:6).

David says in Psalm 34:8:

"Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!"

King David understood, and feed upon the Bread of Life, a 1,000 years before He came.

I say all this, and yet, it is a mystery for me as well. I believe it, however I don't really comprehend it completely. But it's by faith we walk. And so I read God's truth, which is His Word, and hear His Word by faith, and in my spirit I am eating the blood and body of Christ. I am becoming more and more one with Him. And my understanding and knowledge of Christ and His truth becomes more and more clear.

If we do not do this, then we will become more and more like the world; either the religious world, or world world, but we will not become more conformed in the image of our Savior, that's for certain.

One day, when he returns, or I die, it will all be crystal clear. But for now I shall be steadfast to read, study, and search the Scriptures; and meditate upon the Holy Bible. It is our most precious gift here on earth, other than Christ Himself. Actually his Word, and Himself are united, and they are a package deal, so to say. And that's a crude way to put it, but it's the truth, isn't it.

One last verse: Jesus said: "“It is written,

“‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

No comments: