Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog," Psalm 40 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? my heart is like wax" Psalm 22


"If you live long enough, you will get kicked in the teeth. The only thing that will prevent it, is not living long enough." -D.A. Carson


Of all the pains I have had, I think the most excruciating, ans searing, pains come from my relationships with others. I have had some serious physical pain as well. And to be afflicted in our flesh can be very painful indeed. But when another person hates you, or stabs you in the back, this goes down into our heart, and it can cause deeper suffering and anxiety than having our body in pain.

And if this is true, then the suffering Jesus experienced in the Garden, was far more painful then His scourging and crucifixion, as unbelievably painful as this tortuous treatment, and death was. And most of all, perhaps, when His Father forsook our Lord on the Cross, and Jesus was being condemned, so that we would never be forsaken, nor condemned. What a Savior! What a Father! What a God! And what a Friend we have in Jesus!

Thank You Lord for suffering for me. Thank You for dying for me. Thank You for drinking the cup of Your Father, in which You had to endure such intense and searing pain, that we will never know, or understand in this life, nor in the age to come. Thank You Jesus, my Savior and God. Amen.

2 comments:

Craver Vii said...

I have never studied any of Carson's stuff directly, but my friend is reading Exegetical Fallacies, and really loves it.

donsands said...

I have read his book: "Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church".
Excellent book on people like Brian McLaren, and the whole Emergent movement.

Thanks for stopping by Craver.