Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"If righteousness comes by the law, then Christ died in vain." Galatians 2:21


"But why was He born? Why was He crucified? Why did He suffer? Why was He made my High Priest, loving me and giving "Himself" an inestimable sacrifice for me? In vain, no doubt, and to no purpose at all, if righteousness comes by other means, for then I find righteousness in the law or in myself, apart from grace and Christ." -Martin Luther

The Church has deaf ears when it comes to the Gospel. Seems to me most people in the Church think to themselves, "If I try to be as good as I can, then God will accept that, and me". Even though they may understand to a small degree that Christ died for our sins, they still mix in being good with our salvation, forgiveness, and righteousness. This is what Paul is trying to teach us is so very wrong. And Martin Luther as well.

Luther goes on to say:

"If my salvation was so costly and dear a price to Christ that He was constrained to die for my sins, then all my works, with all the righteousness of the law, are but vile and worth nothing in comparison with this inestimable price."

I am righteous in Christ alone. I am forgiven in His death, and justified in His resurrection! And nothing can ever change that.

As we sing in the hymn, 'In Christ Alone':

"There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
‘til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand"
-Keith & Kristyn Getty

No comments: