Friday, March 14, 2008

"Preach the Gospel to yourself".

"How then are you being disciplined? Is it by the law, or is it by grace? Of course, God is discipling by His grace, but how do you perceive it? How are you seeking to respond to His parental training? Do you accept the forgiveness of His grace, or do you labor under the burden of guilt? Are you relying on your union with Christ and the indwelling Holy Spirit for the power to respond to God's training, or is the Bible only a rule book of commands you are struggling to obey by your own willpower?

Remember, the grace that brought salvation to you is the same grace that teaches you. But you must respond on the basis of grace, not law. That is why you must "preach the Gospel to yourself every day."" -Jerry Bridges

"’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home." -John Newton

No comments: