Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"Not unto us, Oh Lord, not unto us, but unto Your name give glory" Psalm 115:1

"Let us then use bread, wine, apparel, possessions, gold, silver, and all other creatures; but let us not trust or glory in them. We must trust and glory in God alone. He only is to be loved; He only is to be feared and honored." -Martin Luther

Luther's words fit the time he lived, but they are the same for us, though we may add a few items such as, TV's, computers, automobiles, etc.

The bottom line truth here is that Christ comes before all. Even our family, our wives and children, or our husbands. And most of all Christ is to be loved above ourselves, which for me is the most difficult, in my daily walk of faith. I believe if it came down to it, I could surely lay down my life for my wife if she were in dyer danger, in fact I would love to; I love her that much. But in the daily everyday life, I don't want to sit and listen to her sometimes.
And I do the same with my Savior and Lord at times as well.

So I perpetually, and continually, need to glory in Christ first, and this is first and foremost without question. This is most important, far above all else. And then I will love my family more fervantly than I could ever have thought; and even my enemies I shall love.

I thank God that He has given me a heart that does love Him, and desires to give Him the glory. I love Him, only because He first loved me, and gave Himself for me.
What a gracious and beautiful Savior and Lord we do have. Bless His name above all names. Amen.


"In Christ alone my hope is found;
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all—
Here in the love of Christ I stand."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don,

Great thoughts. Hey, can you see if any of your blogger buds can track down the origin of this quote allegedly traced to Luther. "Meeting God without Christ is Hell." I've heard that now from two people but can't verify it.

donsands said...

I'll put it out there bro.

This post is inspired from your last sermon Gregorious. Lookin' forward to this Sunday.

Even So... said...

Thanks for being real, Don...