Monday, June 23, 2008

"It Is Well With My Soul"





When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.


As we sang this hymn in church yesterday, my heart seemed to swell with joyful thanksgiving when we came to this one verse:
"My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more".

Not that I didn't sing all these wonderful words with heartfelt joy and gratitude to the Lord, for I did. But, this truth of all my sin, every sin I have ever committed against the Lord, my wife, my family, my church, and my neighbor, all being paid for by Christ on that Cross is beyond joy; it takes the heart to a higher place, and it's unexplainable.
Jesus took His Father's cup of wrath, and drank every drop, and left a bone dry cup of God's wrath, so that there was no more warth for those who trust in Christ.
There's NOW no condemnation for those who are in Christ. I have died with Him, and now live for Him.
My sins are no less great now, then before I was born again. In fact, they are more grievous to me since I have received forgiveness for them.
My sins I deplore, and yet I still sin. My lust, pride, and self-centeredness drives me to my knees, and makes me cry out to God with sorrow, and ask for His power and grace to stop this sinning.
And yet I must never forget, I can sing with all my heart, "My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more".
Thank You Jesus. Amen.

4 comments:

Craver Vii said...

Yesterday, we had a guest speaker expound on Ephesians 1, and your post reminds me of God's incomparably great power. ALL of my sin is atoned for by Christ! Amen and hallelujah!

donsands said...

And Amen again Craver.
Thanks for the encouragement.

jazzycat said...

Some beautiful words for sure. Great photo as well....

donsands said...

If we are wise, and understand the Gospel,-- the truth that all our sin is paid for,-- (not one of my thousands, and tens of thousands of sins, where only one would condemn me to hell), are all paid for in full, then it will be well with the soul of the authentic born again believer.

Nothing but the Gospel can make a soul well.