Thursday, April 02, 2009

"For ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28b

[Luther preaching at Wittenberg]

"...in Christ there is no difference of persons, but all are one. ...Christ should be set forth, that you should see nothing besides Him,...

So, if I would find comfort and life, when I am at the point of death, I must do nothing else but apprehend Christ by faith, and look at Him and say: I believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who suffered, was crucified, and died for me; in whose wounds, and in whose death I see my sin, and in His resurrection victory over sin, death, and the devil, also righteousness and eternal life. Besides Him I see nothing, I hear nothing. This is true faith concerning Christ, and in Christ, whereby we are made "members of His body, of His flesh, and of His bones"; "In Him, we live, and move, and have our being" (Ephesians 5:30; Acts 17:28). Christ and our faith must be thoroughly joined together." Martin Luther, From his commentary on Galatians 1531.

No comments: