Friday, January 22, 2010

"..Jesus spoke as one having authority. He not only spoke the Father's words; He is the Father's Word." -Michael Horton

"In order to hear Christ speak today, and to become convinced that he speaks with authority, we need to be exposed regularly to the Scriptures that testify concerning him. We need to memorize Scripture, wrestle with it, sometimes even agonize over it, sing it, and speak it to each other in all wisdom and understanding. Only as we encounter his authoritative words do we come to know the Savior who has the authority to break the reign of false words from false lords. Jesus said, "The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life" (John 6:63). We need to hear them more."-Michael Horton, From Modern Reformation

4 comments:

Craver Vii said...

Amen!

Hey, what is that smaller book in the painting? The larger one is presumably a Bible.

donsands said...

Don't know Craver. I saw this painting, and thought it was nice, but there was no more information on it.

Thanks for the visit.

Craver Vii said...

It looks a bit like a pocket New Testament. Curved and everything! I carry one with me all the time. It's been pretty useful. I don't like writing in my Bible, but I found it easy to underline stuff in the pocket NT.

donsands said...

I write a lot in my Bibles. One of my pastors doesn't write in his Bible. I can see your point there Craver.

It could be NT, or maybe "Morning & Evening, Readings by CH Spurgeon".

My wife has one of those devotionals, and it's shaped like that.