Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"Unconverted men would kill God Himself if they could only get at Him."


"I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill me because my word finds no place in you. I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father.”


They answered him, “Abraham is our father.”

Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham's children, you would be doing the works Abraham did, but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. You are doing the works your father did.”

They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.”

Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” John 8:37-47

Sinners in this world, love the world, and hate God. And when God speaks His truth, the evidence of their hatred comes forth from the heart. You can't really see the hatred aside from this, and in fact sinners may look like they love God, and surely they say they love Him; but they don't. They don't mind a mixture of God; a little bit of God in with their religion; and all sinners have some kind of religion. Bottom of the pot-- we sinners hate the truth, when it is pure truth, don't we.

JC Ryle said this:

"The unbelieving Jews at Jerusalem was neither moved by our Lord's miracles, nor by His preaching. They were determined not to receive Him as their Messiah. ...Our Lord had done the Jews no injury. He was no robber, murderer, or rebel against the law of the land. He was one whose life was love, and who "went about doing good." (Acts x. 38.) There was no fault or inconsistency in His character. There was no crime that could be laid to His charge. So perfect and spotless as a man had never walked on the face of the earth. But yet the Jews hated Him, and thirsted for His blood. How true are the words of Scripture: "They hated Him without a cause." (John xv. 25.)"

2 comments:

mommanator said...

HOW TRUE! Preach it brother!

donsands said...

Nice to see you sister.

have a God blessed day.